My goodness I can’t believe I’m here again. Ready to meet the missing little piece of my heart and have my life changed forever again. Never in a million years would I have thought I’d be having another baby so soon but here we are. Sometimes God has plans for us that we don’t understand at the time but looking back everything always works out as it’s meant to be.
Having a baby in another country is a game changer let me tell you. They do things differently in Hong Kong so I’m very fortunate this is not my first baby. Most of my Mom friends here chose scheduled C sections and already knew when their babies would be born. I have always preferred to go as natural as I can and some people here do not understand that. It’s culturally just very different. My doctor is from UK and understands my birth plan so I’m hoping for a smooth delivery. It’s crazy when the #1 thing on your birth plan is to have English be the only language spoken in the delivery room haha!
At this point my hospital bag has been packed for about 2 weeks and we are on baby standby! Since this is my 3rd time packing my bag I think I’ve finally got it narrowed down to what I actually need to take and what you actually use. I did a post HERE when I had my bag packed for my 2nd baby and while some things are the same, I think I have my bag narrowed down to even less this time. Sharing all my tips and tricks for all you mamas that aren’t sure what to bring.
– Robe- I love THIS one and will be using this for my newborn pictures as well
– Slippers- I love THESE slippers so much and will be bringing these with me. Usually the hospitals have socks and slippers for you as well but it’s always best to bring your own to be comfy
– Snacks- You can get super hungry if you have a long labor and especially after birth. I’m bringing some goldfish, fruit snacks and granola bars
– Makeup and Toiletries- I’m bringing a small makeup bag of my everyday makeup only plus some face wash and moisturizer, eye cream, hairbrush, toothbrush, lotion, etc…. really only the things I use everyday
– Chapstick- This is a MUST! Your lips get so dry in the hospital and during labor. I’m bring my absolute favorite Laneige Lip Mask. I seriously could not live without this stuff!
– Water bottle- with my first baby our hospital gave me a huge refillable cup of water and a constant supply of ice. With my 2nd baby, in a different hospital, I only had these tiny cups that the nurses had to keep refilling for me, so I knew this time I would be bringing my own bottle just in case I need it. You go through a ton of water! THIS bottle is my favorite for on the go so I’m bringing this one with me.
– Extra hair ties- labor can get pretty intense to say the least so you’ll want a few of these just in case
– Clothes to come home in- I’m just bringing a comfy pair of joggers, a nursing tank and a pair of sandals. It’s still so hot in Hong Kong I don’t want to wear anything to warm. You just want to wear something simple and comfy.
– Nipple cream- I love THIS one and have used it with all my babies
– Bath towel and hand towel- Usually the hospital ones are really thin and they are full of bleach. My skin is very sensitive so I always bring my own even when I travel. I also bring my own pillow case!
– Phone charger and battery back up- You’ll want to make sure you have an extra phone charger on hand in your bag for sure! Also a battery back up is nice to have handy in case you don’t have direct access to a plug, or in my case, the plugs in Hong Kong do not work with my phone charger without an adapter
– An extra bag- Don’t forget this. Be sure to stock up on all the pads, mesh underwear, creams, diapers, absolutely everything you can take with you. The first 2 weeks can be a little messy and you’ll want all the supplies you can get
** On a side note, I’ll be bringing a pack of masks with me this time as well as my results of a clear covid test. I’m not sure how things are where you are, but here the hospital requires a clear covid test within 6 days of admission. Also bringing a bunch of hand sanitizer too!
– Swaddle- You’ll want something cute for pictures! Don’t forget a hat or hair bow too and maybe a pair of little socks
– Blanket- You’ll need this especially if it’s cold out but I like to get some pictures with my baby in their baby blanket too.
– Going home outfit- Make sure to bring a newborn and a 0-3 month size. Sometimes the doctors can be off on the weight estimates so you want to have something to fit baby
– Carseat- You don’t need this when you check into the hospital but you will need to have this before they will let you take baby home. I’m so excited to use my Doona carseat and stroller in one.
– Backpack- My hubby packs super light and since he will not be staying overnight at the hospital this time, he’s only bringing the essentials
– Toiletries- toothbrush, small face wash, etc… just what he uses on a daily basis
– Pen and little pad of paper- my hubby always takes the best little notes through our whole labor and delivery and it’s so fun to look back at things that happened later. A lot of times I forget things even happened or in what order but looking at his notes always helps me remember every detail of our big day! I save these notes and put them in the babies’ memory boxes
– Snacks- a few bars and a bottle of water… if your hubby is planning on staying with you at the hospital for a few days of course you’ll want to bring more to keep him fed
I think that’s about it. You really don’t need much, plan on using as much as you can from the hospital. Just try to really enjoy the moment and the whole experience as much as possible.